The Beginning: Hope Union Church
Northbrook, originally called Shermerville, was established in 1885. At that time there was no church in town. In 1890 some young people from the Congregational Church in Glencoe, with a few friends from Shermerville, started a Sunday School in the Shermerville School House on Waukegan Road across from what is now the Crestwood Senior Center, formerly the Northbrook School. The Sunday School program was conducted by the Pastor and Sunday School Superintendent of the Glencoe Congregational Church. Eventually, in 1892 a committee was developed to consider the possibility of establishing a church in Shermerville. A paper was circulated to raise at least $500 in subscriptions toward this effort and in the end, Glencoe friends exceeded the goal with more than $600.
The committee then called for a meeting at the railroad station on May 21, 1892 to establish The Hope Union Church of Shermerville. A member by the name of George Kiest donated a lot at Church Street and Chapel Court where our first church building was erected. Originally, the congregation was heavily influenced by German speaking farmers from the area. There were difficulties in the early years, and for the first 25 years, the church’s size and vitality was somewhat dependent on itinerant preachers from Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.
Northbrook Presbyterian Church
During the first 30 years, the membership did not increase as there was little money in the area and there was a succession of 42 ministers until 1922. In that year, the church funds were reduced to 35 cents, and the membership voted to become part of the Presbyterian denomination, in order to bring stability and support to the church. This was the same year that the village of Shermerville changed it’s name to Northbrook, and the Hope Union Church of Shermerville was renamed Northbrook Presbyterian Church.
The original church was damaged severely in a fire in December of 1926, but the church was quickly rebuilt and dedicated in May 1927. As the congregation grew they realized the need to relocate. After acquiring land down the street, they sold their property to the Christian Science Church of Northbrook. It is now owned by the Northbrook Historical Society.
Village Presbyterian Church
On May 15, 1949, the new church building and sanctuary at 1300 Shermer Road was officially dedicated and the congregation became known as The Village Presbyterian Church. Over the years the facilities were expanded to facilitate the growing congregation. A Christian Education Building was built in 1957 and the new sanctuary was dedicated on September 18, 1960, with the old sanctuary becoming the narthex.
Another great step of faith occurred in 2000, when the TVPC church family made the courageous decision to expand and renovate the current building. This renovation campaign entitled, Building on Faith, identified long-term needs for TVPC which focused on enhancing three areas: safety, accessibility, and program space.
Since its inception, this congregation has been committed to sharing and nurturing faith in Jesus Christ and serving others in the community and throughout the world. Most recently, TVPC has adopted a Vision Statement: “to be a vital, loving community actively bringing Christ’s example to life,” along with a Mission Statement: “to Know...God through Christ; Grow...in our faith; and Go...witness and serve.”